Sub Acute Care For Seniors In India
Why Sub Acute Care For Seniors
The Difference Between Acute And Sub Acute Care
For caregivers in a family, it’s important to understand and evaluate the available range of options when patients need a higher level of care than can be provided at home. Take a look below some of the differences between acute care, subacute care
- Acute care is rather immediate and high-level medical care for patients with serious injuries, exacerbation of existing illnesses or urgent medical conditions requiring an intensive level of treatment and observation. Acute care facilities enable to actively address conditions that are either life-threatening or limb-threatening until the patient heals to be treated with lower-level care. The length of stay in this care facility depends on the specific requirements and conditions of the patient. Here, stays are generally of shorter duration, hospitals being an excellent acute care example.
- Sub acute care takes place after or in place of an acute care facility. It offers the provision of a specialized level of care for medically fragile patients, often with a longer length of stay than acute care. Many acute illnesses or injury patients may need comprehensive care offering frequent assessments of required procedures to manage their condition. People with pulmonary, cardiac, cancer, and conditions that require IV therapy or to be fed through tubes also need subacute care after a stay in the hospital care. Subacute care can include dialysis, chemotherapy, ventilation care, complex wound care, and various other inpatient medical and nursing services.
Types of Sub-Acute Care:
Sub-acute care can be defined and divided into 3 main categories:
- Physical therapy : Oftentimes, a need arises for addressing physical ailments through gentle and noninvasive methods, such as stretching and muscle relaxing exercises, this is known as physical therapy.
Surgical procedures and the following prescriptions and medications can be costly and may entail high risks that should be taken into consideration while healing from any injury or illness. Physical therapy treatments for our patients eliminate the need for more expensive, and very dangerous medical options. By working closely with patients, a caring and careful approach to your rehabilitation from physical therapy can help you get back on your feet, both literally and figuratively. It promotes health benefits that benefit patients in both short as well as long run. It primarily consists of:
- Occupational therapy : When the focus of physical therapy is to encourage ease and comfort during daily activities that a patient must complete, it is known as occupational therapy. This therapy is highly efficient to restore motor coordination as it helps trigger a form of muscle memory in the patient.
Instead of the requirement for learning a new skill, they just have to relearn their previously mastered skills. With this, it enables easier reconnecting of the body with the mind and gains better control subconsciously. This is especially impactful for the elderly, who can’t withstand undergoing surgery, undergoing strenuous exercises or beginning a whole new medicinal regimen altogether.
There are three major aspects of occupational therapy, they are:
- Motor coordination
- Manual dexterity
- Sensory perception
- Speech therapy : Another important element of sub acute care that is often involved with all stroke survivors is speech therapy. The speech-language pathologists conduct a few different types of recovery. All of these are connected to the mouth and other related systems. And these eventually improve the patient’s quality of life.
Other than this, there are various other services available under sub-acute care, like:
- Palliative care and pain management
- Chronic disease management
- Memory care management i.e dementia and its forms of degenerative -neuro diseases
Required Changes To Boost Sub-Acute Care
For the reasons discussed above, the Indian healthcare ecosystem needs to integrate sub-acute care into its fold. While some specialised facilities that cater to these needs are coming up in various major metropolitan cities, they enable a change of narrative and mindset that makes sub-acute care natural in India. A lot needs to be done to bring about these changes.
- Educating the treating physicians : In India, the doctor’s word is the last word and hence, it makes the biggest impact on the change required.
- Financing options : Insurance companies need to cover at least 60 days post evens care and have policies for ongoing care for debilitating diseases.
- Capacity building of the workforce with need for the sector
- Augmenting skilled caregiver numbers, standardizing curriculum, licensing framework
- Digital literacy and adoption of digital tools
- Increased acceptance of home-based sub acute care amongst care seekers
- Increase the number of step-down units i.e inpatient centres for sub-acute care.
How ProTribe Helps?
Sub-acute home care services are the ideal solution for patients who need care but not quite as intensively as in a hospital. When you use this type of care, you can give your loved one the best medical care possible and maintain their independence. Mainstreaming sub-acute is imperative to taking care of the elderly. ProTribe’s elderly care services can go a long way in helping you with:
- Reducing the burden of diseases
- Easing out the recurrence of medical events
- Ease out the pressure on the already strained acute medical system
- Enable a healthier lifestyle amongst seniors, keeping them as independent as possible
- Ease out the caregiver’s anxiety while looking after their loved seniors
- Ease out financial burdens